Monday, March 3, 2014

Cookies

Last Friday I entered class to see the phone table (where we all place our phones upon entry) filled with three trays of cookies. Having skipped breakfast, I didn't hesitate to grab one of these scrumptious looking temptations. They were even better than they looked. 

When Michael told us at stand-up that he baked the cookies the night before, I was surprised. For a guy that is running two businesses, I don't know how he finds the time to shower, let alone bake cookies, which tasted like they were made from scratch. Seriously, they were really good.

I was reminded of this while setting up this blog the other night, particularly when designing my title image. "Epicoder's Delight" was a play on words based on my experience with the word "Epicurean." 

Back in college, a colleague of mine at the student newspaper wrote a column called "The Epicurean", which reviewed local restaurants. That was the first time I came across the word, so I figured it had something to do with food. However, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
The philosophy of Epicurus (341–270 B.C.E.) was a complete and interdependent system, involving a view of the goal of human life (happiness, resulting from absence of physical pain and mental disturbance), an empiricist theory of knowledge (sensations, including the perception of pleasure and pain, are infallible criteria), a description of nature based on atomistic materialism, and a naturalistic account of evolution, from the formation of the world to the emergence of human societies. 
So, maybe "Epicurean" doesn't correlate directly with food. But I'm sure that Epicurus would have something to say about the pleasures to be had from good food, which coincidentally is largely indebted to atomic manipulation (thermodynamics, i.e. 350 degree heat ;). 

It should be noted that I could be entirely wrong that the name Epicodus was inspired by Epicurus. It could just be a concat of "Epic" and "Code," or something else entirely, although this seems unlikely.


Either way, I learned one thing from this experience and reflection: Bake on, Michael, bake on.

No comments:

Post a Comment